Saturday, August 29, 2009

League 1 Game 5 - Stockport 1 Southampton 1

We just need a win. How many fans of various clubs have said that over the years ? I have a feeling that once we win one, we'll be off and running and will string some decent results together. Again, I know this is a horrible cliche and only time will tell. Today we're at Stockport and they're in a mess as well and we really should be looking at making this the day when we get the elusive first win.

I'm out with the kids again but before I go, I manage to get the team news which is that Wayne Thomas is playing right back in place of the injured Murty which allows Lloyd James to stay in midfield. Predictably, Hammond and Trotman return and Saganowski starts up front with Lambert who is playing against one of his former clubs and he's already given an interviwe during the week explaining that he's going to be about as welcome as smallpox at Edgley Park.

It's one of those days when I really don't keep in touch with the game too much. For the first half it's text alerts so I've had nothing and it's 3.45. then, like the buses, there's two at once, 1-0 to Saints with a Lambert penalty and half time. I laugh to myself as I think of the cocophony of noise in the stadium as Lambert came up to take the pen, only then to realise that Stockport get gates of about 4000. Half time and I'm confident that this is going to be the day.

Time moves on and it's 4.30 before I catch up on the game again, we're still 1-0 up, we've dominated the game, hit the bar twice and the internet is telling me that all looks good. My mind wanders back to Paul Jewell on Tuesday night. As luck would have it, we get to 4.45 and the kids are amusing themselves quite nicely so I park myself on a bench and watch the updates come in on the BBC. 89mins, refresh, 90mins, refresh, 91 mins, refresh, 92 mins...


The BBC text updates are showing 90mins + 2:35 - Stockport 0 Southampton 1. I click to refresh the page one last time I hope... and this is what I get...

90:00+3:15 Neil Trotman is penalised for a handball.

90:00+4:19 GOAL - Carl Baker:Stockport 1 - 1 Southampton Penalty taken right-footed by Carl Baker and scored. Stockport 1-1 Southampton.

90:00+4:32 Booking Neil Trotman booked.

90:00+4:54 The referee ends the match.

There are some things that you shouldn't say when you're in a kids playground and 'For Fux Sake' is one of them. My kids by now were bickering with eachother so I dropped my usual indifference to this behaviour and 'RIGHT!!!, WE'RE GOING HOME". I had a rugby ball in my hand which we'd taken to throw about and I thought I may feel better if I booted it a long way... bang.... miles it went. None of my kids volunteered to go and get it...


Back in the car, Dave Merrington is giving it the large one on Radio Solent about the fact that it was never a penalty but reading between the lines, our penalty was a dodgy award too so we've dominated the game and only managed to score on dodgy pen ourselves. Alan Pardew then came on and you could tell he was gutted. We played well, the ref was the worst ever, never a penalty etc. I feel sorry for him - he's joined the shipwreck that is Southampton Football Club and he has five years of shite to try and sort out. I still firmly believe he is doing a good job and the aforementioned five years of shite are not to be sorted out in 5 matches.... it will turn but we as fans, have to be patient. Of course, this is one virtue that many are lacking, especially those who are younger.


-7.

No comments:

Post a Comment