Saturday, August 15, 2009

League 1 Game 2 - Huddersfield 3 Southampton 1




I admit it. I was optimistic going into this game and I should have known better. After all, we have just beaten Northampton from League 2 so why did I think we were going to go to a tough away game and win.... As is my life, I wasn't at the game and I wasn't even in front of a radio. I had given my kids the choice of what they wanted to do today and they had chosen to go swimming..... in Portsmouth.

Portsmouth were of course, playing at home so I had to be careful regardng the traffic. I timed it so we didn't have to sit in a queue of traffic with all the inbreds and I put the peg on my nose at the end of the M275. So far so good. Now the problems... I've got the text alerts thing on my phone but of course, Sony Ericsson haven't invented an underwater phone so that's tucked in the bag. 3pm, 3.30, half time, quick look at the phone, 1 alert, half time Huddersfield 0 Southampton 0. OK, not bad... I'm sure we'll run away with it in the 2nd half. 4.30 and I sneak another look and I have 5 texts. I'm thinking 3-2 to us at the worst...

Text 1 - Huddersfield 1 (Rhodes) Saints 0
Text 2 - Huddersfield 1 Saints 1 (Lambert) - Get In my son!!!
Text 3 - A text and 2-1 to us I expect....., no, it's a joke about Michael Jackson
Text 4 - Huddersfield 2 (Rhodes) Saints 1 - what!!!!
Text 5 - An equalizer surely!!! No, it's the same bloody Michael Jackson joke again.

Misery. Bearing in mind where I am, with a load of tattoed bodies wearing Pompey shorts for swimming trunks (and the men were grim as well).... it couldn't be much worse. It gets worse though and we eventually lose 3-1.

Got home, read the reports, we were rubbish and 3-1 flattered us. At least the Skates lost which I put down to my presence in their city.

Saints have another away game on Tuesday, this one against Swnidon Town so a bit of local-ish pride at stake, so Alan Pardew has 3 days to sort out the soft mentality which, despite an encouraging first two games, is still there. Maybe another signing to go with Chelsea loanee Jacob Mellis who came on as sub today. No doubt the "want it all now" contingent of Saints fans will have meltdown on the message boards tonight and for that reason, I'm not going to log in.

Bit of a reality check today.......... Still on -9....

No comments:

Post a Comment