Saturday, August 15, 2009

Lambo, First Blood


It has become an increasing annoyance to me but no surprise that many Saints fans were already complaining that thing weren't moving fast enough. We have "only" signed two free transfers and "we've not spent any money" being the most common complaints. Well, we've just paid £1m-ish for Rickie Lambert from Bristol Rovers... a proven goalscorer in this Division (29 last year). Fantastic, I'm chuffed as nuts with this.

Lambo (as he will surely become known) was a player mentioned by many but there was no definite link to him and then there he was, holding up the shirt. I like the way that Alan Pardew operates in that he identifies a position where we're short and then fills it (rather than the Burley method of identifying that we need a centre back and then buying a midfielder) but equally, I like the way the new regime operate in that they obviously back his judgement. Welcome aboard Rickie.... I'm gutted that I miss your debut through work.

At last, a proper centre forward... the first since James Beattie.

No comments:

Post a Comment