Wednesday, September 30, 2009

League 1 Match 10 - Southampton 2 Bristol Rovers 3

Patience is a virtue. When Rickie Lambert signed for Saints, I had a quick look on Bristol Rovers message boards and it seemed that the Gasheads world had come to an end. They had lost their main goalscorer and had no replacement. The Chairman should go and the manager should go and everything was bad. A quick glance at the league table shows that they have managed to find a life after Lambo and are currently sitting in 3rd place, 21 places above the big bad Saints.

All the talk in the build up from the Saints camp had been of the prospect of two home games in a week and a chance to get in positive points and start aiming to move up the table. Jaidi, Lambert and Pardew had all been saying this but disappointingly, no one had said ‘we want to get to one before the Skates’. Team news saw Joseph Mills return to the bench with Papa Waigo getting his first start up front with Lallana moving to the left of midfield. Lloyd James and Jacob Mellis made up an impressive and creative looking right hand side.

I’m missing my first home League game of the season as I’m working in Dublin, so my dad has got my ticket and is taking one of his pensioner mates to the game meaning that SFC are getting a pensioner on a full price seat and I hope Markus and Nicola appreciate that. I will be ringing the old man at half time to find out what’s going on so I can fill in the blanks between my BBC text updates on my mobile phone which over the course of the evening, will be costing me a fortune in roaming charges.

I’m hitting ‘refresh’ with abandon throughout the half, in the knowledge that I won’t be able to pay my mortgage this month once I get my mobile bill. It’s all worthwhile as I read that Lallana has been set up by Lambert for 1-0. It’s not so worthwhile when I see that Chris Dickson has made it 1-1.

As I said, I rang the old man at half time and my mum answers it. The pillock has left his mobile at home so I’m none the wiser as to who is the better side etc.

The second half stars and we’re flying at the by the sound of it and soon enough it’s 2-1 as Lambert sets up WAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLL !!!!!!!!! If I was writing the BBC Text , it would say ‘Goal by Papa Waigo who does a stupid dance’. Later it transpires that it’s not his goal at all but Lambert’s as his header was already over the line so Waigo has now done two goal dances at SMS, one when he wasn’t playing and another when someone else scored. I’m assuming that we’re on our way now and am anticipating a 3-1 win. However, Bristol Rovers and Jo Kuffour have other ideas as he makes it 2-2 in the 65th minute.

The text updates have stopped at 93 minutes. I haven’t given up hope if a win but the realist in me is saying that we’re not going to get a late goal for the 2nd game running. What I was not expecting was a 95th minute text to say that Bristol Rovers had snatched it in the last minute. Deflated, gutted, you name it. Not only are we still on negative points but the ‘hard to beat’ aura that we had been building up had gone. Not only that, it was of course our first home defeat of the season and he defence that I thought was going to be really solid has shipped three goals at home. Not a good night.

So, a few steps forward and then a great big welly in the nuts. I’ll not be reading the message boards tonight but in the words of the Kaiser Chiefs, I Predict a Riot. Calm is what we need but more importantly, we need to win big time on Saturday. Bring on Gillingham, still on -1, patience is still a virtue.

No comments:

Post a Comment